Point Reyes National Seashore Association CalNat Immersion
Dates: May 7, 2017 - May 14, 2017
Time: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sponsor: California Naturalist
Full course website: http://calnat.ucanr.edu/Take_a_class/PRNSA/
Point Reyes National Seashore Association (PRNSA) is a cooperating association of the National Park Service. Working in partnership with Point Reyes National Seashore and the public, PRNSA preserves, restores and maintain wildlife habitat, trails, and historic sites in this beautiful coastal park. Year-round environmental education programs help children and adults deepen their understanding of nature and inspire the next generation of park stewards.
The PRNSA California Naturalist training course will introduce you to the unique ecology and natural history of California and the Point Reyes Peninsula in Marin County. The course combines curriculum, guest lecturers, field trips and project-based learning focused on the natural world of California. Coursework and activities will engage students in the theory and practice of citizen science and direct stewardship. Participants earn the University of California’s California Naturalist certificate for attending lectures, field seminars, taking field notes, and completing a Capstone Project.
- Describe the role of the scientific method in understanding natural history.
- Relate knowledge of natural history to becoming a naturalist and an environmental steward.
- Integrate knowledge about the interconnectedness of abiotic and biotic factors (including human) and their influence on the natural history of the Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Demonstrate skills in making and recording observations in a field notebook.
- Apply knowledge of the Point Reyes Peninsula ecosystem to local and global environmental issues.
- Understand and communicate the role of citizen science in informing the natural resources management decision making processes.
Join a one-week residential immersion course at the Point Reyes Peninsula in Marin County or a longer 5-week course more suitable for local residents. Lead instructor is Dr. Chris Pincetich, guest instructors TBA. Upon completing certification requirements, participants are eligible for four academic credits through UC Davis Extension for an additional nominal fee.
- Immersion Rustic Adventure May 7-14
- California Naturalist Local Edition - Morgan Horse Ranch - Saturday Lecture Series: September 23, 30 October 7, 14, 21