2801 Second Street
Davis, CA 95618
STATEWIDE PROGRAMS & REC OPS
- UC California Naturalist Program
- UC California Naturalist Program Newsletter
- UC California Naturalist YouTube Channel
- UC California Naturalist Program Partner Map
Greg currently serves as the California Naturalist Program Director, developing and overseeing efficient and effective program operations through program planning, development, management, and evaluation. This includes two active courses: 1) California Naturalist and 2) Climate Stewards. In addition, Greg serves is an active member of the California Naturalist and Environmental Education Workgroups and the Climate Change Program Team. Greg has over twenty years of experience in the design, delivery. and management of environmental education programs and professional development. Greg earned his BA in Environmental Studies from Prescott College and MA in Asian Studies with a focus on Urban and Regional Planning from the University of Hawaii. In addition to program management, Greg's interests include inquiry-based environmental education, participatory science, program design with cultural competency, and advancing collective impact approaches to complex and large scale challenges.
- Outstanding Evaluation Program Presented by Alliance of Natural Resource Outreach and Service Professionals,
Presented by Alliance of Natural Resource Outreach and Service Professionals, https://anrosp.wildapricot.org/National-Conference, 2018
- Outstanding Team
Presented by Alliance of Natural Resource Outreach and Service Professionals, https://anrosp.wildapricot.org/News/4035641, 2017
SpecialtyEnvironmental Stewardship, Environmental Education, Climate Change Education, Natural History Training, Program Management, Collective Impact, Workforce Development, Social Franchise.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Communication, Education, and Information Delivery
- Conservation and Efficient Use of Water
- Watershed Protection and Management
- Natural Resources, General
- Conservation of Biological Diversity
- Climate Change
- Responding To Climate Change
- Natural Resources
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Science Literacy in Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Nutrition
Nelson S-M, Ira G, Merenlender AM. Adult Climate Change Education Advances Learning, Self-Efficacy, and Agency for Community-Scale Stewardship. Sustainability. 2022; 14(3):1804. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14031804
Teaching an experiential field course via online participatory science projects: A COVID-19 case study of a UC California Naturalist course. Ecol Evol. 2021; 11: 3537– 3550. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.7187, , , .
- Ira, Gregory (2022). Ten Strands Blog. July 7, 2022. https://tenstrands.org/author/gregory-ira/
Nelson, Sarah-Mae; Ira, Greg (2020). UC Climate Stewards Course. A. Merenlender and K. Meadows, eds. September 30, 2020.
Drill, Sabrina; Meyer, Ryan; Ballard, Heidi; Angulo, Sarah; Ira, Greg (2018). Supporting Community and Citizen Science: UC Agriculture and Natural Resources and California Naturalist. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Alliance of Natural Resource Outreach and Service Programs. 13. 9/13/2018. https://anrosp.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/ANROSP%202018%20Agenda%20-%20DRAFT.pdf
Drill, Sabrina; Adina, Merenlender.; Gamble, Brook; Foreman, Shayna; Ira, Greg; Raleigh, Carrie; Rodriguez, Marisa (2017). UC California Naturalist Instructor Training Manual. UC California Naturalist. 107.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- California Naturalist - Chair
- Disaster Preparedness and Response - Member
- Environmental Education - Member