Community Nature Connection
Community Nature Connections seeks to foster a committed and diverse group of naturalists and community scientists trained and ready to take an active role in natural resource conservation, education, and interpretation. The California Naturalist course is part of CNC's Training Institute and is included along with a suite of courses aimed at empowering local community members to become stewards and voices for the natural wonders of the L.A. area and the communities surrounding it. The course will utilize a combination of science curriculum, classroom lectures, expert guest speakers, front-loaded resources, field journaling, and project-based learning to immerse you in the natural world of the Santa Monica Mountains and surrounding watersheds in the greater Los Angeles area.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
• Understand what it means to be a naturalist
• Understand the cultural factors that make California’s natural history and ecology unique, with a focus on the ecosystems of greater Los Angeles and the ecosystem of the L.A. Watershed.
• Demonstrate skills in making and recording natural history observations in a field notebook and on iNaturalist.
• Demonstrate skills in communicating and interpreting natural resource information for and from diverse perspectives.
• Apply knowledge of the local ecosystems to regional and global environmental issues.