Community Nature Connection CalNat Course
Dates: June 4, 2018 - June 9, 2018
Time: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Contact: email@example.com, 213-434-6455
Sponsor: California Naturalist
Full course website: http://calnat.ucanr.edu/take_a_class/CNC
The California Naturalist Program seeks to foster a committed group of naturalists and citizen scientists trained and ready to take an active role in natural resource conservation, education, and restoration. The California Naturalist course will introduce you to the wonders of our local ecology and engage you in the stewardship of California’s natural communities. The course will utilize a combination of science curriculum, classroom lectures, field trips and project-based learning to immerse you in the natural world of the Santa Monica Mountains and surrounding watersheds in the greater Los Angeles area, in particular the Los Angeles River.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
• Understand what it means to be a naturalist
• Understand the cultural factors that make California’s natural history and ecology unique, with a focus on the ecosystems of greater Los Angeles and the ecosystem of the L.A. River.
• Demonstrate skills in making and recording natural history observations in a field notebook and on iNaturalist.
• Demonstrate skills in communicating and interpreting natural resource and public park information
• Apply knowledge of the local ecosystems to regional and global environmental issues.